FlexFuel (E85) system support?

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2009 (US, UK, Asia) S2000
Boofster

FlexFuel (E85) system support?

Post by Boofster »

Is it possible to make use of the fuel system sensor so we can mix E85 with a sensor?

I'm really looking forward to using the FlexFuel sensor from Science of Speed
http://scienceofspeed.com/products/engi ... _FlexFuel/
along with their fuel return system for 06+ S2k's.

AEM apparently supports it and I don't want to switch to that noise.

bunger78

Re: FlexFuel (E85) system support?

Post by bunger78 »

Would love to see support for this as well, but my assumption is that it's not going to happen, for the same reasons nitrous fueling isn't going to happen.
Boofster

Post by Boofster »

Why is that?

No way to connect the sensor?
Da Boost
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

bunger78's post is not correct (sarcasm I guess).

We directly support the ethanol content sensor with the S300V3. For the FlashPro to use this sensor it would require a hardware change to the FlashPro to allow a digital PWM input.
Hondata
bunger78

Post by bunger78 »

I was totally unaware of this capability.

I see now where you have info for the 300v3: http://www.hondata.com/help/smanager/flex_fuel.htm

I already have the boost control mod, is it still possible to get this input and retain secondary wideband input?

Also, is there a trade-up program to get a newer bluetooth FlashPro?

Thanks!
Boofster

Post by Boofster »

There is an upgrade for bluetooth for $150 but it doesn't make much sense since you still need to plugin your FlashPro box. Look at the bottom here: http://hondata.com/flashpro.html
Da Boost
bunger78

Post by bunger78 »

Ahh, yeah, seems a little much to just add BT, I think I'll just get a OBDII Y cable.

So, thinking about this more, I may be running out of inputs if I plan to add traction control. With traction control wanting to use the ELD, and the ECT2 input being used by my wideband, that leaves the possibility of the EGRL input.

I would really love the ability to run an ethanol content sensor, not every racetrack has E85 and I can't seem to get consistent ethanol blends from my local station.

Looking forward to more info!! =)
jun1or

Post by jun1or »

bunger78 wrote:Ahh, yeah, seems a little much to just add BT, I think I'll just get a OBDII Y cable.

So, thinking about this more, I may be running out of inputs if I plan to add traction control. With traction control wanting to use the ELD, and the ECT2 input being used by my wideband, that leaves the possibility of the EGRL input.

I would really love the ability to run an ethanol content sensor, not every racetrack has E85 and I can't seem to get consistent ethanol blends from my local station.

Any updates? Would love more inputs. I could benefit from logging 3 additional inputs, and as bunger stated, there aren't many available for S2k FP. We can't be alone with this wishlist. Product evolution, like s300 :)

Mike
jun1or

Post by jun1or »

EDIT:

Most of us still on a 1st gen FlashPro, obviously non-bluetooth. Any chance for a v3 hardware update for FP in the dev pipeline? Analog/digital inputs would be monumental. e85 isn't going away. Heck, even a software upgrade to allow 3rd party (laptop only) serial or analog inputs to be interpreted, overlayed to .fpdl's. A simple table conversion in calibration and text box for sensor name would be great. The flexibility of the s300 is the kingpin to which all other hondata devices are obviously compared to. The s300 in my daily driver still brings a smile to my face, and that's a v1. I've maxed the inputs, but there are a few more to work with as we know :)

As always, thanks,

Mike
jun1or

Post by jun1or »

Nah, give it some time. I believe this would require a hardware update to flashpro for the required input...

Patience patience!
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Correct. It would require a hardware update.
Hondata
Dagou

Post by Dagou »

Hondata wrote:bunger78's post is not correct (sarcasm I guess).

We directly support the ethanol content sensor with the S300V3. For the FlashPro to use this sensor it would require a hardware change to the FlashPro to allow a digital PWM input.

Is there a plan for this hardware update?
Dagou

Post by Dagou »

bunger78 wrote:Ahh, yeah, seems a little much to just add BT, I think I'll just get a OBDII Y cable.

The beauty of flex E85 is that it does not matter what blends or fuel ratios you have. You can dump any mix of gas and E85 in your tank and it runs!
volvo09

Post by volvo09 »

Even though I have an Si, I will bump this as it's the only flex fuel thread here.

What about doing this with software only? For the past 10+ years all the major automakers have stopped using content sensors and have switched over to a virtual sensor that is adjusted by learned fuel trims. It adjusts the same parameters that would be adjusted by feedback from a physical sensor, but it's only done through the o2. Since it has to learn it wouldn't work for non street, race only cars, or cars with closed loop disabled, but it would work for the growing quantity of Honda owners who are running E85 in a daily driver or who want to run it but don't want to carry 2 tunes (neither of which fit that great with a mixed fuel tank) or don't want to limit themselves to driving only to places where E85 is available.

Yes it's not ideal, but even having the most basic of support would be better than nothing.

thanks
jun1or

Post by jun1or »

volvo09 wrote:Even though I have an Si, I will bump this as it's the only flex fuel thread here.

What about doing this with software only? For the past 10+ years all the major automakers have stopped using content sensors and have switched over to a virtual sensor that is adjusted by learned fuel trims. It adjusts the same parameters that would be adjusted by feedback from a physical sensor, but it's only done through the o2. Since it has to learn it wouldn't work for non street, race only cars, or cars with closed loop disabled, but it would work for the growing quantity of Honda owners who are running E85 in a daily driver or who want to run it but don't want to carry 2 tunes (neither of which fit that great with a mixed fuel tank) or don't want to limit themselves to driving only to places where E85 is available.

Yes it's not ideal, but even having the most basic of support would be better than nothing.

thanks
I for one disagree, but would not complain either way.

I prefer having two maps / tunes. One for fuel A, one for fuel B (I.E. e85/93. There are little times I would drive 50/50, but often times drive on e70, e75, e82, etc (winter blends). The simple 2x4 compensation table found in Smanager would be perfect.

Zeitronix already has the box that converts digital pwm output of the sensor to 0-5v analog, so why reinvent the wheel? Sure we have very few inputs to work with, but pick your priorities. The proposed solution i present is also a software solution, but one that has been implemented already. Spunkster/Hondata, let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree (thread).

Thanks!

JR