using alternative vss

K-Series Programmable ECU installation questions / support issues
PFTSrsx

using alternative vss

Post by PFTSrsx »

Hello,

I'm trying to use the alternative vss because my current speed sensor is not working correctly with the new ppg's I installed. I need to know if I need to use the ground from the digital inputs harness as well as the vss wire. And which wire do I tap into for the rear wheel abs sensor. positive or negative. And how do I determine the amount of pulses to put into my calibration?

Thank you

Ps...I'm not finding what I need in the help file
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: using alternative vss

Post by Spunkster »

No, you cannot use an ABS sensor for the alternate VSS input. They do not provide the correct voltage pulse and could actually damage the ECU or K-Pro.
PFTSrsx

Post by PFTSrsx »

Spunkster wrote:No, you cannot use an ABS sensor for the alternate VSS input. They do not provide the correct voltage pulse and could actually damage the ECU or K-Pro.
OK so what exactly do it tap into? I have an 06 rsx-s
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

If you already have the K-Pro for an 05-06 RSX with our adapter harness then you do not need to use an alternate VSS input as it is designed to take the VSS input and modify it inside the ECU an output the proper pulses for the cluster. If you are having problems using an aftermarket gear set then the problem is more likely to do with their design, and it was not designed or tested for road going cars that the drivers wants everything functional. This gear set was more than likely designed for race only use and with race use often comes compromises.
PFTSrsx

Post by PFTSrsx »

Spunkster wrote:If you already have the K-Pro for an 05-06 RSX with our adapter harness then you do not need to use an alternate VSS input as it is designed to take the VSS input and modify it inside the ECU an output the proper pulses for the cluster. If you are having problems using an aftermarket gear set then the problem is more likely to do with their design, and it was not designed or tested for road going cars that the drivers wants everything functional. This gear set was more than likely designed for race only use and with race use often comes compromises.

I understand that but my thing is, the cluster will read 25+mph off from actual speed. And the kpro would read I was in 1st gear when I was actually in 3rd doing a pull.

I'd like to fix this issue these are PPG'S gears and I've heard of no one else having an issue like this.

My one speed sensor broke do you think it could have shorted Something in the ecu or dash?

Also is it possible for me to run the alternative vss input somehow?
PFTSrsx

Post by PFTSrsx »

Anyone? I need some help here
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Have you contacted PPG about this issue?
PFTSrsx

Post by PFTSrsx »

Spunkster wrote:Have you contacted PPG about this issue?
No. I have not.

Do you think it could be the fact they are straight cut gears instead of helical?

I want to know if I can use the alternative vss input somehow? I will buy a specific sensor if I need it.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Most likely it is because they are straight cut. You should contact PPG about this.
PFTSrsx

Post by PFTSrsx »

Spunkster wrote:Most likely it is because they are straight cut. You should contact PPG about this.
ok I must not be making myself clear....

HOW DO I WIRE UP THE ALTERNATE VSS INPUT?

this is ridiculous. i've had to ask numerous times. you guys are the creators. we are just the users here obviously for help. ppg has zero to do with this issue. what are they going to do? this is kpro not reading it correctly not my gears fault.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

You can wire the alternate speed sensor input to any hall effect sensor, including the standard sensor in the transmission. As pointed out above, you cannot wire it to an ABS sensor.

If you tell us what speed sensor are you going to use, we'll tell you how it should be connected.
Hondata
PFTSrsx

Post by PFTSrsx »

Hondata wrote:You can wire the alternate speed sensor input to any hall effect sensor, including the standard sensor in the transmission. As pointed out above, you cannot wire it to an ABS sensor.

If you tell us what speed sensor are you going to use, we'll tell you how it should be connected.
Thank you. I will use my factory sensor if I can if I can't then I will do whatever I need to to get it working.

So if using my factory sensor how would I do it?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Connect the VSS wire (02-04 pin A18) to the KPro Vss input.

In KManager, parameters, misc, set the speed sensor to 'alternate speed sensor input'. Initially I'd use a calibration of around 175000 pulses per km, but you'll have to adjust this based on the PPG transmission number of teeth.
Hondata
PFTSrsx

Post by PFTSrsx »

Hondata wrote:Connect the VSS wire (02-04 pin A18) to the KPro Vss input.

In KManager, parameters, misc, set the speed sensor to 'alternate speed sensor input'. Initially I'd use a calibration of around 175000 pulses per km, but you'll have to adjust this based on the PPG transmission number of teeth.
great I appreciate your time and answer.

but while I have you here. im having trouble getting my kpro4 to connect to my laptop. I tried downloading your kpro drivers but the file after finishing downloading says It corrupted or invalid.

my laptop says the drivers installed but my ecu wont connect to the laptop. off line is all it says.

redownloaded the kmanager multiple times and tried a different laptop all together and I got nothing.

the green LED is on but no red LED doing anything. and I have a calibration pulled up and open but cant upload it to the ecu.

my kpro v1 had no issues. but just upgraded to kpro4 and now nothing.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

From Help, About, what version of software are you using?