CAN YOU PASSWORD PROTECT YOUR CAR FROM STARTING?

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
masterofphones

CAN YOU PASSWORD PROTECT YOUR CAR FROM STARTING?

Post by masterofphones »

I was just wondering if there is a way to program your S300 with a password for it to start the car up? This way you would have to enter a password to start the car as a security system to protect your vehicle from being stolen. If not can someone program that in a update please?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: CAN YOU PASSWORD PROTECT YOUR CAR FROM STARTING?

Post by Spunkster »

Details on security can be found at:
http://www.hondata.com/help/smanager/se ... b=security
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

Thanks. I know about those, but so do most people who steal cars and still could start the car up and get away. I would think on the next update or if anyone else is a good programmer if it's OK with HONDATA to program a password protect startup of the car. Without the password the car wont start. I don't think it would be hard to program that in, if you already can program this other security features.
CGF20BOOSTED

Post by CGF20BOOSTED »

Is there a way to password protect the s300 from downloading or uploading maps? For example; Security is enabled to what ever settings. Someone knows there is Hondata in your car. They break in, tap into your Hondata. And disable your security or just view what is and steal your car.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You cannot password protect it from starting, but you can password protect uploading:

http://www.hondata.com/help/smanager/se ... b=password

There are also the security settings in the parameters section which you can set to make the car harder to start for a thief.

None of these will keep a thief from swapping the ECU though.
CGF20BOOSTED

Post by CGF20BOOSTED »

That is true. But they would need some way to get it running before they steal it... I suppose. Thank you sir.
jjkz24

Post by jjkz24 »

How about a little more flexibility in the way where parameters have to be met, in order to start the car.

Example: 3 throttle inputs, 2 brake inputs, 1 throttle input.

TPS=3
BRAKE=2
TPS=1

In the above example, the driver would have to depress the throttle to 100% three times, hit the brake pedal twice, and throttle again, for it to start.

The user/owner can set the above values to their liking.

I believe there may be some other tuning software that might already utilize this, and in my opinion, is a little more "secure", than having just the current options within Hondata of things like having the A/C button pressed and/or brake pedal pressed.

A potential thief would have to guess the number of inputs above, in order for the car to start successfully.

Thoughts?
jjkz24

Enhanced Security

Post by jjkz24 »

Is it possible to have a little more flexibility in the way where parameters have to be met, in order to start the car?

Example: 3 throttle inputs, 2 brake inputs, 1 throttle input.

TPS=3
BRAKE=2
TPS=1

In the above example, the driver would have to depress the throttle to 100% three times, hit the brake pedal twice, and throttle again, for it to start.

The user/owner can set the above values to their liking.

I believe there may be some other tuning software that might already utilize this, and in my opinion, is a little more "secure", than having just the current options within Hondata of things like having the A/C button pressed and/or brake pedal pressed.

A potential thief would have to guess the number of inputs above, in order for the car to start successfully.

Thoughts?
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

I will not tolerate abuse in the forums.

The existing security options are fairly secure. For instance, if you set the TPS to a narrow range and utilize a hidden switch then any potential thief would be hard pressed to start the vehicle. In any case, built in ECU security is only as secure as physically replacing the ECU with another. A better idea is to wire a simple switch into the ignitor signal, wired into the wiring harness between the ECU and distributor with the switch hidden. That would require the wiring harness to be replaced or jumpered in order to defeat it.

We'd rather use the limited code space in the ECU to implement other features. Better flex fuel and more protection inputs are the top two items on the list for the s300.
Hondata
jjkz24

Post by jjkz24 »

Hondata wrote:I will not tolerate abuse in the forums.

The existing security options are fairly secure. For instance, if you set the TPS to a narrow range and utilize a hidden switch then any potential thief would be hard pressed to start the vehicle. In any case, built in ECU security is only as secure as physically replacing the ECU with another. A better idea is to wire a simple switch into the ignitor signal, wired into the wiring harness between the ECU and distributor with the switch hidden. That would require the wiring harness to be replaced or jumpered in order to defeat it.

We'd rather use the limited code space in the ECU to implement other features. Better flex fuel and more protection inputs are the top two items on the list for the s300.
No abuse was posted. This, is all I originally wanted the first two times that I posted.

Thank you for replying.