Throwing O2 sensor CEL after tuning on Hondata

Hondata installation questions / answers / issues.
turbo95eg6

Throwing O2 sensor CEL after tuning on Hondata

Post by turbo95eg6 »

Has this ever been covered before, I need big help on why my car is throwing a O2 sensor code when the O2 sensor has been dismantled. Im using hondata S200B with P28 on a single cam, spent a whole day on the dyno, tuned nice but now this....PLEEASE tell me what is up with my hondata....its eats me up inside i spent a grand, and all for a cel code i cant fix

:cry:
Last edited by turbo95eg6 on Tue May 17, 2005 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What is the code you are getting? Exact code please.
turbo95eg6

Post by turbo95eg6 »

Spunkster wrote:What is the code you are getting? Exact code please.
code 1

if the shop calls hondata will they be able to help us...? I didnt do the instal but the person who did is very knowledgeble and has been tuning hondata for a long time (brian at groundzero motorsports-portland OR)

he cant pin point it either, especialy when the O2 is disabled....help pleaaaaaase :oops: :cry:
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It is a known bug for the ecu to sometimes throw a code 1 if the ecu is in open loop. It happens after a cold start and during deceleration.
turbo95eg6

Post by turbo95eg6 »

Spunkster wrote:It is a known bug for the ecu to sometimes throw a code 1 if the ecu is in open loop. It happens after a cold start and during deceleration.
it usualy comes on after 20-30min of driving, but almost everyday. usualy coming of a freeway, or sometimes just driving around town....

-can you explain to me what a closed/open loop is...? And which is better to run daily....?

-does it make any difference to leave the O2 sensor plugged in or unplugged..?

so is this "bug" something everyone experiences, or is it the hondata system itself...? Im gonna be bummed if there is no way to get rid of this problem, what should i try...?? Does hondata know about this problem, and are they reccomending anything for it...?

thanks for the inputs doood, glad someone can help..as you can tell im new at the system
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

For a street driven car, there is no reason not to run closed loop. This will eliminate the error and you must use an oxygen sensor to run closed loop.
mordecaipsi

Post by mordecaipsi »

I also get the same o2 sensor code. This is pissing me off.....paid too much managment to get a dumb Check engine light.

It comes on EVERY TIME like clockwork. I will start it up in the morning after it is completely cold then after i decelerate while in gear, aka engine break i will get a code 1. But the code is not stored on the ecu and once i turn the car off then restart the car the code it gone untill i let it sit for a long time to cool down.

Why is this happening. I had the old stage series and i thought id upgrade caus ei heard that the S series was better in idleing and was smoother. This is ridiculous.......
turbo95eg6

Post by turbo95eg6 »

Spunkster wrote:For a street driven car, there is no reason not to run closed loop. This will eliminate the error and you must use an oxygen sensor to run closed loop.

so is my only solution going to a different ems....im kinda getting bummed no one has warned me about this, i think hondata was a very unreliable choice....am i wrong....? why do i feel this is only happening to a very few people...? I will prob go apexi or aem.....boy what a way to waste a grand :x
mordecaipsi

Post by mordecaipsi »

Unless Hondata steps up and remedies this problem, this will be the last time i use hondata for anything. Where is this great customer service i thought hondata had?????????

I was going to go with hondata for my next project but AEM EMS is looking much better right now. :evil:
turbo95eg6

Post by turbo95eg6 »

I would like to hear what hondata has to say....i know they dont like getting calls but if you could, please post here because there is alot of people who are having the issues and dont know when there will be a solution...if its pretty much a lost cause and there is no way to fix the defect, let us know also......there should be some sort of note on their site that their s200's are experiencing these issues, so we arnt left with problems after purchasing the unit and tuning on it....i dont think its right to sell the product when there is a known bug in the unit....?

lots of people on honda tech are also trying to deal with this issue. some have suggestions...

[QUOTE=Jordo@KAP]mine does it also, what you can do is do the plx trick.. use a resistor that fools the ecu in thinking an o2 sensor is there...

it does it when you go from 4k to idle.[/QUOTE][QUOTE=locash]Disabling the heater will not fix this issue, it is a known bug..

Hondata's current suggestion is to tune it well and run it in closed loop afterwards..

[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=dasher]

Same here.... has you tuner tried disabling the O2 sensor and run off the maps alone? Mase did this for me and I never pulled a code then I somehow reset my ecu and its happening.[/QUOTE]

keep the suggestions coming... :thumbup:
Hybrid_Hatch

Post by Hybrid_Hatch »

Spunkster wrote:For a street driven car, there is no reason not to run closed loop. This will eliminate the error and you must use an oxygen sensor to run closed loop.
mine was street driven every day on VP 110 gas..o2's dont last long with leaded fuel or a rich mixture under boost...
DaX

Post by DaX »

Hybrid_Hatch wrote:
mine was street driven every day on VP 110 gas..o2's dont last long with leaded fuel or a rich mixture under boost...
that's the exception to the rule. daily driving on leaded fuel is very uncommon. if you could keep a good o2 sensor in there though, you'd probably still run better under closed loop.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Known bug. Will be fixed soonish.
Hondata
turbo95eg6

Post by turbo95eg6 »

Hondata wrote:Known bug. Will be fixed soonish.
thanks, all i wanted to know.....keep us posted
RMS

Post by RMS »

one poster on this thread is b.s.ing since he runs an aem anyway.
RaVer Motorsports (559) 733-4711
ravermotorsports@earthlink.net