High IGN advance

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
AREA876

High IGN advance

Post by AREA876 »

I am having a issue when I tip and release the throttle fast my IGN goes negative and then goes extremely high all this while car is stationary
IGN problem.bmp
IGN problem.bmp (1.24 MiB) Viewed 4579 times
Attachments
Race Day_1_2.s3d
(739.8 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Skunk2 Cams.skl
(51.84 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
elmago

Re: High IGN advance

Post by elmago »

would you be able to post the log from where the picture was taken from? i went over your calibration and race log everything looks like it should. maybe seeing the actual log on my end ill be able to give you a hand.
AREA876

Post by AREA876 »

It happens at 06.611sec and 26.996sec in the datalog, it goes from 14* to -1* and then to 59* when throttle is pressed. What's causing this? it seems to be causing the ECU to also register knock.
elmago

Post by elmago »

I do not think it's a software problem. Has it always done this or did it just start? Also a spike that large at that low of an rpm (or any rpm for that matter) will cause cylinder pressure to rise and cause knock.
AREA876

Post by AREA876 »

I recently notice it while revving the engine and saw it was registering knock, that's when I noticed the high IGN advance.
If it's not software related what next?
elmago

Post by elmago »

Check your distributer's internal components. I personally had an engine that had a fried wire to the igniter and it caused a spike of over 80* advance. To say the least that engine is no longer with us. That would be the first area to look at, try switching over to a different kne and see if it helps. If it does not check the wiring to the ecu from the distributor.
AREA876

Post by AREA876 »

Ok will do, what i have done so far is reduce the throttle tip in condition engine speed from 1000rpm to 900rpm and also reduce minimum TPS for
500 1000 2000 to 1%, IGN now seems to follow IGN map
IGN better.bmp
IGN better.bmp (1.24 MiB) Viewed 4553 times
elmago

Post by elmago »

The reason i didn't recommend playing with the tip parameters is because usually what causes spikes like that when you blip the throttle is a mechanical issue not so much the software. In my opinion you don't really need to make any changes to those parameters if you are running a oem style ignition system and are running pump fuel especially in that low of an rpm/load, but once in a while you may get an engine that needs some fine tuning to run right. If it worked for you great, more knowledge is never a bad thing. Keep us posted on how it goes.