'Out of date' error message

FlashPro Manager software
SlowTeg

'Out of date' error message

Post by SlowTeg »

It looks like the current version of FP Manager makes a check w/ hondata on startup (query's your server or something), and if you don't have an internet connection you're stuck with the "Out of date" message. Very irritating if you aren't someplace with wifi for your laptop. Can you guys fix this? Fortunately I have wifi but if I'm out driving or at the track I'd be stuck w/ a thumb up my butt. This is FP Manager 2.3.5.0.
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: 'Out of date' error message

Post by Hondata »

This behavior is not our choice, but unfortunately a necessity.
We are going to change this so that you get a warning (at least a month) before needing to update. Also we will extend the application 'lifetime'.
Hondata
Gernby

Post by Gernby »

I've been sitting in a parking lot for an hour trying to complete a Tune for a client that is headed to an SCCA Pro Solo tomorrow, but can't work around this Out of Date issue. I'm going to have to let him know that he won't have a tune for this event.

As a long-time FlashPro user (since its release), and even longer-time programmer (my day job), I really think you need to abandon the forced upgrade thing entirely.
'06 NFR S2000
SlowTeg

Post by SlowTeg »

Hondata wrote:This behavior is not our choice, but unfortunately a necessity.
We are going to change this so that you get a warning (at least a month) before needing to update. Also we will extend the application 'lifetime'.
How is this not your choice..? Why does the application need to check every time it opens with your server? I'd think adding a flag in the software that lasts for 30 days or so (when an internet connection isn't available), and having the flag reset for 30 days anytime an internet connection is available would be pretty easy/simple to code up.

Even 30 days might be too short/annoying, but it's a heckuva lot better than every single time..
shind3

Post by shind3 »

SlowTeg wrote:
Hondata wrote:This behavior is not our choice, but unfortunately a necessity.
How is this not your choice..? Why does the application need to check every time it opens with your server? I'd think adding a flag in the software that lasts for 30 days or so (when an internet connection isn't available), and having the flag reset for 30 days anytime an internet connection is available would be pretty easy/simple to code up.

Even 30 days might be too short/annoying, but it's a heckuva lot better than every single time..
LOL, hey don't blame the employee, it's just company policy ;)

I get it, whatever. Piracy protection, lol. You guys are aware of K-Tuner right? Not to mention CANBUS port sniffing. Unless you have somehow modified the comm protocol code in the ECU to only use a proprietary encrypted CAN message packet... LOL.

And for my last point on this topic, It was not mentioned before purchasing a FlashPro that it will require monthly updates to REMAIN functional...