Surface 4 pro - could not load flashpro driver reliable

FlashPro Manager software
typer86

Surface 4 pro - could not load flashpro driver reliable

Post by typer86 »

Hi Hondata,

I have problems with the hondata on the new MS Surface 4 pro and Windows 10 (64bit).
The USB driver can not be loaded reliable. I must plug in many times (4 or 5 plugin-out) until the device will be loaded correctly and can be used.
Any known problems with the Windows 10 usb driver?

I will post the correct error message later.

I hope it is not a Surface 4 chipset issue.
It is only one USB port availabe on the Surface 4 pro.

More later....
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: Surface 4 pro - could not load flashpro driver reliable

Post by Hondata »

It is not the driver, but probably the USB port on the Surface. The issue is that USB changed the specification for a USB port since the FlashPro was made in order to include high current charging. That gives out of spec in rush current to a USB device. Not all laptops have USB ports like that, but we've seen problems on Macs and some of the newer laptops.
Hondata
typer86

Post by typer86 »

Ok sounds not good.
I checkt the event log from the OS but I could not find any entries about the connection problem.
It is possible to make a workaround without using an old notebook? (with the old USB standard).

If you need screenshots of the error message I can attache one if needed.
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

You could try using a USB hub.
Hondata
typer86

Re: Surface 4 pro - could not load flashpro driver | USB Device Not Recognized in Windows

Post by typer86 »

I will check the energy power savings today. May I must uncheck the "save power" function for better recognize.

Edit:
Unfortunately disable the power savings does not fix the issue :(

Inside the car I can not attach an external usb hub (with external power).
The flash pro can not be removed easily in my case. - I need the flexible usb connection so it is very annoying to plug in and out many times until the Surface recognize the flash pro.

Too bad that it can not be solved by a driver update.
typer86

Post by typer86 »

Hi Hondata,

in the german Microsoft community thread the supported usb stack of the Surface will be discussed (for Surface 3) which has the same issue with other devices. - external DVD / HDD devices.

Source: http://answers.microsoft.com/de-de/surf ... 31f?page=3

In my case:
I think the problem is, the device need more power at startup - but if the device is not recognized as a USB-3.0 all devices will supplied with low energy ((100mA only!) and the flashpro can not start) - instead 900mA if the device recognized correctly.

I am sooo very very happy if you could check this on your side. So I hope you can fix this with a little firmware update for the flashpro so that the device will be supplied with 900mA on surface and other note/netbooks.

Regards,
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

I do not believe that is the problem. Te USB charging spec only occurs with a certain load on the USB D+. In any case, the FlashPro USB is not controlled by firmware.
Hondata
typer86

Post by typer86 »

Now I am on a point that I will create a Microsoft ticket to fix this. The Surface 4 device was to expansiv to life with this issue... a way must be found to fix the connection issue.
Gernby

Post by Gernby »

I've been experiencing this issue with both of my FlashPros (S2000 and Civic Si) using 4 different computers running 64 bit Windows 7, 8 and 10. I have not tried a USB hub, but I have tried using USB ports that are NOT rated for charging. It sometimes takes 15+ attempts at plugging / unplugging the FlashPro before FlashPro Manager detects it.

The computers that regularly experience this issue are an Intel NUC (Windows 10 Pro 64), Lenovo Lavie Z (Windows 8 Pro 64), Lenovo ThinkPad (Windows 7 Pro 64), and Microsoft Surface Pro (Windows 8 Pro 64).

Are you sure this isn't just a 64 bit thing?
'06 NFR S2000
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

Nope. It is related USB hardware.
Hondata
Gernby

Post by Gernby »

I forgot to mention that when the FlashPro is connected unsuccessfully, it does still appear in Device Manager, so it seems that the USB interface identified it correctly. However, it shows up with an exclamation mark l, and the notes say that the device failed to start. If you need a screenshot of that, let me know.
'06 NFR S2000
deibral

Post by deibral »

I have the same issue as Gernby. Windows 10, 64-bit. 2 cables checked, two drivers settings (1.0.2 and 1.0.3) checked. Flashpro seems to turn on randomly after connecting by USB. To make it work I have to unplug it and plug it 20-30 times or turn it on and off in Device Manager with no real pattern. Othervise it gives "Code 10 error - can not turn on the device".

The same Flashpro using the same cable works fine on other computers with Win7 or XP installed.

There is a serious problem with Windows 10. I am not using Surface, but standard PC.
typer86

Post by typer86 »

Try a external power supplyed USB hub or check your Bios.
After serveral updates from the MS the surface will recognize the flashpro better.
connection/disconnection cyle dropped from 20/30 to 5 /10.

Maybe this will be fixed in a later bios of your systems.