Error Code 8 Top dead center sensor

s300 and SManager software questions & answers
masterofphones

Error Code 8 Top dead center sensor

Post by masterofphones »

I have been having problems with my 97 Acura Integra type R lately. Mostly how it's been idling. First it was idling from neutral on its own from around 1100 rpms to 1800 rpms. I was not pressing the gas it was just doing it on it's own. I didn't think to much of a big deal about it as I thought it was still running OK. Then it started jumping around while I was driving from like 4000 rpms to 5000 rmps while I was pressing the gas, but was not graduel like it's suppose to actually jumping up and down. Look really weird, but I didn't really feel to much of a difference while driving just seemed like it was not getting the power it was suppose to be getting. Then finally it stalled out on me while I was going about 60 mph and when I tried to restart it all it did was make this really nasty noise like it was getting too much gas and would not start.

So then I had it repaired at a repair shop and they said it was a vacuum leak of some kind and that there was a wiring issue. So they fixed the leak and fixed the wiring issue. Now the car is not idling on it's own from neutral in a complete stop, but is still doing the strange jumping of idling while I am giving it gas normally around the 3000 rpm to 4000 rpm range. The shop also suggested that maybe the timing belt was loose and to either tighten it or replace it soon. Which I have not done yet.

Then in the past few days I have had problems starting it up if I haven't started it say from night time to morning time. Having to like hold the key to the crank position for a long time until it starts up. So I ran an error test on the Hondata S300 and got Error Code 8 Top dead center sensor. What does this mean exactly? I have read somewhere that it means you need to replace your distributor.

I am lost though on why my car is running like this and just want it fixed. Been trying to figure out if maybe the timing belt needs to be tighten and something about setting top dead center and wondering if that is off on my car in some way.

Please if anyone can help me figure out what's wrong it or exactly what the error code means would be greatly appreciated.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: Error Code 8 Top dead center sensor

Post by Spunkster »

You need to try the ECU on a known working vehicle to help you determine if it is the ECU or the distributor. Any other issues you will need to check the cam timing and probably replace the Timing belt at the same time.
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

Why would something be wrong with the Hondata S300 ECU or are you talking about something else? Kind of lost?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

It could be a problem with the ECU itself, not the s300, the distributor, or wiring.
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

I don't have another vehicle to test the Hondata S300 ECU on. I guess I'll probably have to take it to a different shop to get worked on and tell them what you told me at least.
Last edited by masterofphones on Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

Spunkster wrote:It could be a problem with the ECU itself, not the s300, the distributor, or wiring.
What ECU are you talking about then?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The s300 is not the ECU. The ECU is what the s300 works with. The s300 goes into the ECU. The ECU can be bad and the s300 is ok.
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

OK I kind of understand what you are saying now.

So I first need to figure out if I have a bad ECU
If that is bad then I need to replace the ECU

Where do I get a ECU if I need it the dealership? The only ECU units I know are the one that replaces the S300 unit. Even the ones on like Ebay.

Check to see if that fixes it.

If it's not an ECU problem then try replacing the distributor

Then if I'm still having issues after that I need to check the cam timing and probably replace the Timing belt at the same time.

How does an ECU just go bad though? Where is the ECU located in my car?

Seems like the S300 wiring goes into the glove box somewhere.
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

Also do you think maybe I had this code before I they fixed whatever wiring issue they fixed before and whatever vacuum leak?

Do I need to reset the error code and see if I get it again?

I did try to reset the error code on the S300 Smanager, but it would not reset it for some reason.
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

You would need to talk to whoever did the work. You really need to narrow down what is causing the error first.
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

Thanks for your help that is what I'm trying to do. Is trying to figure out what is causing the error. That and why when I drive does the rpms jump around like they do and I didn't know if that would be a timing belt issue or a distributor issue.

Would the timing belt being loose give this error or would it have to be the ECU or distributor or do you know?

I don't think the people that just worked on it would know. I don't even think they knew it was giving that error code unless it just started happening after they at least somewhat fixed it. It did just start having problems starting a day or so after I got it back. The only thing they said was I should probably fix the timing belt soon by tightening it or replacing it. There also far away from where I live. I can call tomorrow and ask if they know anything though.

I need to just take it in I guess to a shop that knows more about Acura Integras. They can at least test the distributor and see if it's having issues and hopefully the ECU you are talking about. I tried to get a hold of Proven Power today and had no luck reaching them and I left a message, but no call return. It's where I got my car tuned on the dyno and they are Hondata certified.

I don't know how to figure out this whole might be a problem with the ECU though.

I know if I took it to the dealership for them to tell me they want the original ECU plugged in not the S300 for them to read if there is an error code and that ECU is in storage.

I'm just having a very stressful day trying to figure this all out.
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

Well today I push the distributor wires and moved the wires around a little that go into the S300 and did not get an error code.

I still think the car is not running right, but need to drive it more to see if anything else has changed with the RPMs jumping.

I probably still need to change the timing belt and adjust the cam timing.
masterofphones

Post by masterofphones »

Nope got the code again today. I will just have to take it in and hope for the best.