2007 FA5 issues

wildabeast

2007 FA5 issues

Post by wildabeast »

I'm having really strange issues, and my shop and I can't seem to figure it out.
I have a 2007 Civic SI that's highly modified running about 570whp. Built head, motor, trans, 62mm turbo, suspension, 2piece wilwood rotors/calipers, 2 walbro fuel pumps etc.
Battery and alternator are stock and A/C has not been removed.

Here are the symptoms:
Randomly, The traction control unit will stop recieving signal from the front left or front right abs speed sensors (stock sensors) and at the same time the VSA and abs lights turn on in the console. If I shut the car off, and then restart, sometimes it goes away right away and sometimes it doesnt. While traveling on the highway (could be 1 min, could be well over an hour), it will trip the abs error code and VSA light at the same time. While still on the ahighway, if I shutoff and then turn back on the code, abs light and vsa go away within a matter of seconds and I can see all 4 lights on the TC unit blinking/solid. However I've seen the code come right back after clearing it within 1-2 minutes and 1 of the 2 front tires completely turned off on the TC unit (double checked and its not getting and PID signals).

We've seen (IIRC) PL1297 (ELD low voltage code) being tripped a few times, but I believe I fixed that when I setup the PID to 1, 0, .2

Tires were setup using constant speed (60mph) and got 15.8k for front and around 13k for the rear.

I was at the Wannagofast 1/2 mile event, and during the entire time there (5 runs with speeds exceeding 150mph and heavy braking) and the traction control didn't complain once. So it doesn't seem to be a heat issue. We thought it could be a connection issue, but we played around with the wiring, the connectors themselves and put a volt meter on it and there didnt seem to be any variation. I was at Wangfest (Gingerman Raceway Michigan) and sometimes it turned on, and sometimes it didnt (I believe 2 out of the 6 - 30min sessions).

One thing I can say for sure: It's always only 1 wheel, never both at the same time. Rears have never given me any issues.

Doesn't seem to be directly heat related. Doesn't seem to be connection related that we can tell. We've tested connections from the pins on the TC harness (blue/yellow and I cant remember the other 2 colors). We tested the ABS sensor voltage and resistance and they were consistent on both sides.
We followed the FAQ for troubleshooting, and the only thing we couldnt verify correctly was that the resistance was suppose to be infinity.

Have you seen anything like this before and can you help

Didn't have any issue with ABS until after the TC unit was installed.
Hondata
Site Admin

Re: 2007 FA5 issues

Post by Hondata »

Check that the selector switch inside the Traction Control unit is set for active ABS sensors. Then check that you have wired the TC unit in on the negative side of the wiring for each sensor - you'll need to test with a multimeter to make sure.
Hondata
wildabeast

Post by wildabeast »

the switch was definitely flipped (I personally opened the box to check). We'll check the wiring for the negative side.
wildabeast

Post by wildabeast »

Hondata wrote:Check that the selector switch inside the Traction Control unit is set for active ABS sensors. Then check that you have wired the TC unit in on the negative side of the wiring for each sensor - you'll need to test with a multimeter to make sure.
Checked the wiring and it was correct.

Just as a side note, I believe the shop called you (Redmist Automotive). For some help before and you told them how to wire it up already.

So what else can we check?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

What version of FlashPro manager are you using?
wildabeast

Post by wildabeast »

Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Please download version 1.5.6 and upload your calibration to the FlashPro then upload your Traction Control calibration to the TC unit. This will probably update the firmware on both the traction control and the FlashPRo as well. See if this corrects the problem.
wildabeast

Post by wildabeast »

ok, my flashpro got updated, but the tc unit did not. (wasnt connected at the time)

I also got help from vitviper to turn off ELD in flashpro (didnt make sense, but I did it) and with that and the update, no more CEL!

However, the tc unit needs to be updated and it wont update.

I've tried unplugging and plugging in both in every combination with the tc program and flashpro, and nothing is working
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

Open the 1.5.6 version of FlashPro manager and plug in only the traction control unit to the USB...nothing else. This should update the traction control firmware. Make sure no other software is open when you do this.