Getting Knock on a calibration which came with FLashPro Manager

FlashPro questions & answers specific to the 2006-2011 Americas Civic Si
09SiCivic

Re: Getting Knock on a calibration which came with FLashPro Manager

Post by 09SiCivic »

Thank you,
No the WOT in 5th at such low RPM isnt my normal driving style. It was just something i was testing to see if it would knock, under full load in low rpms. I was actually in 6th gear (i think, i could be wrong and the log is accurate) when i did that, not sure why the log showed 5th. But yeah, that was just a test. Ill check the tune out and ill keep you posted after my brother makes some adjustments to the map. He hasnt made any yet.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Gotcha. I see what you mean then. You're almost guaranteed a knock in those scenarios.

Take the file I posted for you in the last post for a drive while you wait for your brother. See what you think and post the datalog so I can take a look at it.
Kr4nG

Post by Kr4nG »

Your map looks better than mine when it comes to the cam angles for sure. I feel like the ignition tables and fuel tables are similar. Its def. a great map to start with and work out.

Im still stuck on the WOT high/low table. haha why did hondata put these tables in. shouldn't the ecu know to enable open loop and follow the high fuel table? or is this table here because the car was designed as MAF and not MAP.

Also how did you get your cam angle break points changed. I see you have 0 15 30 40 45 is their a reason you did that? Also where is the 50 degree. Does flashpro not offer 50 degree table like on kmanager?
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

The tables are similar in some ways, but in your tables you have more fuel in at redline than anywhere else in the table on the 30 and 40* cam angles. The engine isn't that efficient on those cam angles to demand the most fuel at redline. On the 0* cam and the 15* maybe, but not the 30 and 40*. Which is why tuning each angle is really essential to getting it dialed in.

The WOT tables are setup by Honda I believe, I don't think it's a Hondata thing. I don't believe Hondata can change that type of structure. I just know that based on the latest logs from your brother, if you look at his WOT pulls, the ECU is still in closed loop and it's applying fuel trims to WOT fueling, which should never be the case. Once you go into your file and make the WOT tables similar to mine, the ECU will transition properly and you can work on the fueling more easily and properly.

You can change the cam angle break points under “calibration - vtc”. I changed them for more control. The 50* cam angle fueling won't be the same as a 40* cam angle, so I change the breakpoints for more control. You can put 50* in the table no problem, I just change the breakpoints for more control. Chances are with his car being stock, you won't be very efficient above 40*, it will lose power. Once he opens it up with intake and exhaust mods it will take advantage of the extra angle.

I would get the WOT tables dialed in before you move on, then you will be moving in the right direction. Trying to tune the WOT fueling with it in closed loop will be more time consuming and could cause a lean condition potentially.

There are other things done in the background of my tune that help the drivability and other things.

Let me know what you think.
Kr4nG

Post by Kr4nG »

I appreciate the advice you have provided us. Their is a lot going on with these engines and tuning them takes more time. After quarantine is over with I will be able to adjust the tables way better in person.

Thanks again and we will keep you posted.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good. Yeah repetition is key with tuning these. The more you see the more you learn. Let me know if I can help. The main thing is not wondering why Honda does things the way they do, but just understand how they do it. Haha. You'll drive yourself nuts wondering why some things are so complicated like the WOT tables.

If you get a chance to throw my basemap in there at some point, I would be interested to see how close it is on another stock 8th gen. Maybe try it while you wait for the quarantine to be over. Let me know, just curious.
09SiCivic

Post by 09SiCivic »

I didnt get a chance to drive the car much at all. I uploaded the map today, cleared the live tune tables and just drove around from my house to the store a couple times. Here are the logs, using the stock basemap you sent a couple days ago. Car feels pretty smooth and is a bit more responsive on the lower end. Idk if these logs will help much, i really just drove slowly around town. I believe i made 1 or 2 pulls on run 3 and 4.
Thank you,
Complete Stock Basemap - Run 4.fpdl
(58.98 KiB) Downloaded 167 times
Complete Stock Basemap - Run 3.fpdl
(79.27 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Complete Stock Basemap - Run 2.fpdl
(68.58 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Complete Stock Basemap - Run 1.fpdl
(81.14 KiB) Downloaded 177 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Crazy how different that file works on your car. It was definitely on the lean side. Yeah the datalogs really need to be at least twenty minutes to get enough average data. Based on what I saw, I made some changes in this next one for you. It really needs to be locked on cam angles to build everything out. There wasn't much usable WOT data though, but I added some fuel based on what was there. Most of the pulls were only partial throttle as well. For the WOT pulls, third gear from 2500-redline is what we need.

What do you mean by clearing the live tuning tables?

Here is the next one for you try if you want.
Complete Stock Basemap Rev02.fpcal
(21.96 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
09SiCivic

Post by 09SiCivic »

Thanks for the map again. I uploaded it today, and did some driving around town. My last run, i was able to do a full 2nd gear and 3rd gear pull. Here is the log from that. Car seems to be running pretty well at this point.
Complete Stock Basemap Rev02 - Run 4.fpdl
(77.02 KiB) Downloaded 165 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

That one looked a lot better, especially on the WOT fueling. We can't do much for the part throttle fueling with such a short datalog, but it did look a lot better than the last one. We need roughly twenty minute datalogs to work on the part throttle fueling accurately. But it does look better from what I can see and the WOT fueling is very close.

I made a few WOT fueling changes in this next one for you.
Complete Stock Basemap Rev03.fpcal
(21.93 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
09SiCivic

Post by 09SiCivic »

I will give this a try either today, or tomorrow. Yesterday we had a bad storm here all day. And since the quarantine i havent been driving the car much because i've been working from home anyway. Im going to upload the map and see if i can drive the car around for a while. In the logs, did you see anything with my coolant temps? I have a leaky radiator. I have the new one right here but havent replaced it yet.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay sounds good. We'll see how it looks when you get a chance to make a datalog.

Everything looked fine on the coolant temps. As long as you keep it as full as possible you'll be fine. Cooling is one of many thing Honda has dialed in on these cars.
09SiCivic

Post by 09SiCivic »

Hey whats up man. Hope all is well. So I finally got a chance to install a Hybrid Racing cold air intake and change out my radiator, thanks to my bro's help. We adjusted your rev3 map a bit for fuel but not really much. After i left my brothers house, i recorded a long log driving back to my house. About a half hour of data. I saw some knock, but didnt get a chance to look where it was. I will upload the log and the calibration i used. Its your map with just a little fuel adjustment. Take a look if you get a chance and let me know what you think. Thanks for your time.
Hybrid Racing CAI Basemap Rev03.1 - Long Run.fpdl
(490.76 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Hybrid Racing CAI - Basemap Rev03.1.fpcal
(22 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Overall it looks pretty good. It could use a few small part throttle fueling adjustments and a couple WOT fueling adjustments. The knock is happening during your WOT pulls in fourth gear between 7800 and 8200 rpms. Very easy to remove.

I will attach the file for you with the fueling changes and the ignition changes. Let me know if that works, or if you'd rather have a file back with just the ignition changes and you and your brother will work on fueling. Whichever you want, but this one has both. To to get the long 3rd gear pulls in there from 2500-redline so you can work on all the WOT fueling.
Hybrid Racing CAI - Basemap Rev03.2.fpcal
(21.97 KiB) Downloaded 182 times
09SiCivic

Post by 09SiCivic »

Wow. Thank you so much. I will upload the map tomorrow and give it go. Thanks again for a super fast reply. Very appreciated