K24a3 into 1970 Datsun 1600(510) Track car only help needed

Hondata model coverage & ECU application questions.
Cadman

K24a3 into 1970 Datsun 1600(510) Track car only help needed

Post by Cadman »

Hi All.

Firstly, I tried searching for some of my question within this forum - If it has been covered before I would appreciate being directed to it. I don't want to waste anyone's time.

I have a Hondata KproV4 that I'm planing to use with a lightly modified K24a3. The car has engine fitted and charge circuit in place (engine cranks over) and I'm ready for the next stage (engine harness). Being a track car, I have no existing "car" wiring to connect up to.

Chassis missing / questions

Brake light wiring / Will I need to feed a signal from the brake switch into the ECU or is is a "nice to have"?
02 Sensors / Will I need to fit any O2 sensors or can the ECU be programed in a "closed loop" type setup?
Speed sensors / Will I require this? (running a 260Z box)
Fuel sensors / Can I run a non standard fuel pump? do I require any sensors etc

Engine Mod /questions

Quad throttle bodys on a fabricated manifold / Will I require a MAP sensor?
Reworked cooling circuit / Will I be needing to run any temp sensor?

I'm also planing on making an engine harness for the setup. / Is this a goo idea? From what I can tell after stripping down my STD K24 harness it looks like I will need to connect around 37 wires. Is there more info online about such foolishness?

Is there anything else that could catch me out?

Engine in car under started motor vid (if you are interested)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/4490863 ... 9159266848

Gary
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: K24a3 into 1970 Datsun 1600(510) Track car only help needed

Post by Spunkster »

Info on wiring can be found at: https://www.hondata.com/tech-k20-swap-wiring

Since this is a non-standard engine swap, I can't really tell you what other wiring will have to be added or changed in the vehicle.
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

Thanks for the info.

As stated I have no existing wiring in the car so I just have to make the engine run, (just like trying to make in run outside on the workshop floor).

Thanks again for your reply
suteshonclub

Post by suteshonclub »

k20 powered kit cars section on the k20a forums would be a good place to get info about kswaps in to non Honda platforms.
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

Hi Guys,

Been working on a wiring diagram for my Datsun install. I just have a few questions please.

1-Can someone describe the ECU power up process for me.

Will the ECU power up via E7 and turn on a main relay witch then turns on the fuel pump via the ECU E1 - and - so-on-

I am trying to arrange my relay logic but I'm unsure how the KPro V4 behaves.

Hoping that this make sense and the someone out there can help.

2. Because this is a track car. I have no ignition (Key etc). When the battery isolator is switch on - I Plain on powering both IGP and IGP2 at the same time?. Will that work/be OK. and how dose the start button feed back into the ECU (if at all)?

3. I'm concerned that someone could leave the Battery Isolator on and If the car is pushed, It could start etc. Is that real- Can you clutch start a Honda K20?

I would love to talk to someone that has been through this - I'm located in Sydney Aust and would love a quick chat with someone (in Australia).

Thanks in advance (Brains Trust)

Gary
Hondata
Site Admin

Post by Hondata »

The wiring is not difficult but everyone makes the same mistakes. BTW the KPro4 does not change any of the wiring requirements of the ECU.

Use the factory manual and replicate the wiring. I made a abbreviated diagram fro race cars some time ago. https://www.hondata.com/images/k20awiring.gif

Do not feed power to the ECU via E7. E7 is an output which grounds the main relay. The ECU gets power from IGP1 and IGP2, which are from the main relay. You need the main relay. If you give E7 +12V, even once briefly, it will burn out the ECU output IC. Likewise pin E1 is an output which grounds the fuel relay. If you give that +12V, same thing, you will burn out the IC in the ECU. Unfortunately a lot of used ECUs are already damaged.

2. Seems like you are trying to get the battery isolator to do two things - isolate the battery and provide ignition as well. You will need an ignition switch which provide power to E9. As for powered IGP1 and IGP2 from the battery, see my point above. You need a main relay.

The starter circuit is independent of the ECU. The engine harness has the starter wire on the engine harness connector pin 16. You need a starter relay.

3. You can bump start the engine no problem.

You need relays for main, fuel, starter and then o2 sensor if you want to keep using the factory o2 sensor. You will need an o2 of some kind, even in a race car, for tuning and diagnosis.
Hondata
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

PM Dirtypool. He might be able to give you some advice. He is running a similar setup in a Datsun.

-Ed
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

Thanks guts for your speedy reply.

I'm just in the process of finalising my Electrical Diagram. Would it be possible to send it onto someone for a quick looking over before I wire it up?

Cadman
Cadman

Post by Cadman »

Hi guys/girls.

just a quick question if I may.

the engine starts and runs but the 02 sensor is not working. There is two different wiring diagrams that I can find on the web, the first looks like the ecu powers the 02 heater circuit, the second looks like the heater is powered from a heater relay. (12V through the heater relay and then onto the heater itself and then onto the ECU plug pin A22).

Is the ECU pin A22 looking to receive a 12V input or is pin 22A a 12V output?

Thanks in advance.
Gary