CPR Kit wiring issues (Crank and No Spark)

Hondata CPR (Coil Pack Retrofit) support
UnifiedRacing

CPR Kit wiring issues (Crank and No Spark)

Post by UnifiedRacing »

So I have installed the CPR Kit and while turning the engine over I was getting all the right lights. Solid power, ignition blinking and sync blinking. Went through the trouble shooting and passed all the questions to the point it said replace coil. These are brand new coils and the odds of having all 4 dead are pretty close to impossible.
The problem I found is that the Yellow (12+ V) and the green (Tach) wires did not change anything when un plugged or even swapped back and forth. I am using a rywire harness that Ive had for 8 years now and its flawless. The dizzy is also brand new.
Heres where it gets weird. I hooked up the Yellow (12V) to the battery directly and left the green tach wire unplugged and the car fired right up and ran. I was also getting rpm through hondata. So my question is what is the point of these wires if Im getting all the right stuff without using the distributor plug? Is directly wiring the 12v yellow wire to the battery fine? If Im getting rpm through the ecu does the green wire (Tach) Even need to be used? Car is fully built and going to be using the aem cd7 for my guages. I havent messed with the cd7 yet besides getting it powered up.
I plan on calling for a tune tomorrow and scheduling a date so a little insight on what ive got going on would be greatly appreciated
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: CPR Kit wiring issues (Crank and No Spark)

Post by Spunkster »

IT sounds like there may be some issues with the harness you are using. We have seen many issues with aftermarket harnesses. We only recommend using a factory engine harness.
UnifiedRacing

Post by UnifiedRacing »

The Harness has had zero issues for 4 different builds. Why would the harness all of a sudden be a problem when I install the CPR Kit?
UnifiedRacing

Post by UnifiedRacing »

So lets say the harness is the problem. Hard wiring the injectors shouldnt be a problem at all since its just a 12v source. If Im getting rpm through hondata s300 do I even need to have the tach wire hooked up?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Post by Spunkster »

The tach signal is for the cluster.
UnifiedRacing

Post by UnifiedRacing »

Ok cool so with me running a AEM CD7 I should have no problems running the power to a switched power and can get the Tach through the CAN system in my CD7. Thanks for the info