K-tuned 3.5 SRI Which tune to use?

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
wmarkham1

K-tuned 3.5 SRI Which tune to use?

Post by wmarkham1 »

I have a 2015 Civic Si that is stock except for a muffler delete. I just bought and installed a 3.5 K-tuned Short Ram Intake, but I am unsure what tune I should be using. I used the SRI/.../catback tune and had some weird issues with it. My Horsepower and torque didn't display on my phone app as well as it not having anywhere near the power it should, as well as some throttle issues. I am tempted to Upload the Hondata reflash tune and Set AutoTune to 15-20%.
Does anyone have a tune for this setup?
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: K-tuned 3.5 SRI Which tune to use?

Post by Spunkster »

This intake will require some custom tuning as it will alter how the AFM reads the air flow.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

wmarkham1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:31 pm I have a 2015 Civic Si that is stock except for a muffler delete. I just bought and installed a 3.5 K-tuned Short Ram Intake, but I am unsure what tune I should be using. I used the SRI/.../catback tune and had some weird issues with it. My Horsepower and torque didn't display on my phone app as well as it not having anywhere near the power it should, as well as some throttle issues. I am tempted to Upload the Hondata reflash tune and Set AutoTune to 15-20%.
Does anyone have a tune for this setup?
Because of the tube diameter of the intake, the engine needs to be tuned speed density via the MAP sensor. Most of the calibrations are MAF sensor based which will cause the drivability issues you reference. If you want to use a Hondata basemap, look for one that is MAP based. I can’t speak to the hp and tq issues with your display.

If you want some help tuning I can help you with it. Do you have plans for more mods soon, or is this your setup for quite a while?
wmarkham1

Post by wmarkham1 »

That does make sense! The SRI-Catback Cal is a MAP Tune, I just don't know how to get those PIDS back.

I can definitely see this being my setup until at least around June, I want to get a more efficient Downpipe with a high flow Cat installed.
I know the stock downpipe and Cats are super restrictive.

I would absolutely appreciate some help with it, I know a little bit about tuning, but not enough to know what this setup needs to get the most out of it safely.

It looks like I can select MAP fuel tables for any tune. Can I select a tune that has working PIDS and tell it to use the MAP tables?
I'm obviously a little more lost than I would like to be.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah I guess you're right, I looked at a 2012 calibration for an SRI setup and it was MAF based. Without seeing a datalog then it would be hard to say why you were down on power and what not. I would guess the cam angle map is perhaps not suited to your car. From looking at the calibration I think you're on, from my experience there is 15-20* too much cam rotation in the midrange. That would cause you to lose some power as you mention because the engine is losing efficiency there with too much cam angle. For an intake only setup, it can be a little picky about cam angle since exhaust flow is still hindered, though you've opened up the intake system with the K-Tuned package.

Okay, well if you plan to run this setup for at least six months or so, I would recommend to tune it the proper way where we tune each cam angle individually and then use that data to blend out the cam angle map properly for your car. A lot of guys I tune for, they end up swapping parts a month after we tune it, so I try to gauge your timeframe for more mods before we spend all the time on it. The datalogs would be 20-30 minutes in length, and it would take roughly 10-12 revisions to get it all dialed. Keeping in mind we don't have any odd mechanical issues or weird knock.

Yes you can select the MAP tables to be used on any calibration, however that doesn't mean the fuel tables have be tuned or new optimal. Since the one you were on was tuned for speed density from Hondata, it would be good. But if you see a MAF calibration, simply clicking on the MAP tables function doesn't mean the tune will be solid.

Anyways, if you want some help let me know. The proper way to tune them is how I mention above, if you're strapped for time and need it quicker, we can probably get it done in 6-8 if we absolutely had to do it the quicker way.
wmarkham1

Post by wmarkham1 »

Yeah I’ll do a Datalog tomorrow after I get off work!
I have plenty of time on my end.
I would like the working PIDS, I looked at some of your other posts where you had issues with that same calibration as it wouldn’t show you all the Data you need.
We should probably tell Hondata that calibration is messed up.
Would you happen to have a base map with all the right settings to get me started?
It’s a 2015, 3.5 K-tuned SRI, muffler delete(resonator still installed), stock MAF sensor, stock 310 injectors, and stock Cats. I also did the water bypass on the throttle body.

Let me know if you need more info!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah I don't know, I've done so many of these now it's hard to remember hiccups along the way, haha.

I've got basemaps set up for these no problem. Let me put one together and I will post it tonight for you. A datalog with your current calibration won't tell us much as far as us getting started, so I'll put together the first file for you. It will be the 0* cam with vtec at 4500 to start. Then I will lay out the driving style and what we need in the datalogs, even though you might have seen that stuff in my other posts. The 0* is very boring to drive on, but it lays the foundation for moving forward.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay, here is your first calibration. For datalogs, we need them to be in the 20-30 minute range with as much stop and go type driving as possible. Basically avoid steady speed and rpm for long periods of time. Stop and go driving populates a lot more data for us. While on the drive, we need to make one wide open throttle (WOT) pull in third gear from 2500-7500 so we can work on the WOT fueling. For this first datalog, keep the driving calm and normal until we can gather some data, and with only one WOT pull. It won't be that exciting to drive on the 0* cam anyways, so let's gather data to get things close before you have too much fun with them

So give this one a drive when you can. This is the 0* cam again, with vtec at 4500.
wmarkham.SD.Rev01 (0Cam)(VTec4500).fpcal
(21.17 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
wmarkham1

Post by wmarkham1 »

I just had a chance to upload the tune and do a datalog. The car took way better to this tune, a little bit of idle surge that mellowed out after the car came to a stop. Is there a timeframe that you would recommend to let the car sit at idle without any load to get acclimated to the tune?

I tried to do as much throttle modulation as I could while keeping it relatively calm. lots of slowing down and speeding up.
I did two WOT runs at the end. I let it bounce off the rev limiter on the second one.
I will need to Email this one to you as its too big to upload here.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

PM sent.

They don't really take time to get acclimated per say, but there are adjustments to be made on idle fueling and what not. They don't really do any learning necessarily, it's all adjustments made from datalog data. We'll see how it goes though and see how the datalog looks once I see it. Glad it's off to a good start though.
wmarkham1

Post by wmarkham1 »

I’m really glad it took to this tune as well, those other basemaps weren’t playing very nice at all.

I’m really happy with idle set at 900, it gives it that little bit extra sound that I never knew I wanted. Are there other reasons for setting it at 900 besides sound?
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sorry, your email went to my spam folder because it was a zip file. I'll email you the next file, I am going to try some things in the next revision I don't want random people downloading since they are for the purpose of testing.
wmarkham1

Post by wmarkham1 »

I did see that all the tunes need to be uploaded as per forum rules. Surely that rule only applies to final product?
I mean, who wants 0 degrees of cam angle?
That definitely was a lot more fun than I thought it was going to be though. It had no issues getting up to speed even at partial throttle. It’s definitely a unique experience driving it like that. It’s weird losing power when vtec engages. XD
wmarkham1

Post by wmarkham1 »

I sent two Datalogs, is there a better way I should upload them?
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah they are all supposed to be. I just hope people look at what they're downloading before they do. I've had quite a few guys email me who used one of the calibrations and everything seemed fine for the most part which is good.

It will get better too, running on the 0* cam angle is really boring. The way the process works though, it gives us a good base moving forward and less moving parts to get some initial data. I'll check the email and get back to you.