throttle position sensor calibration

Calibrations for S-Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)
jaxon

throttle position sensor calibration

Post by jaxon »

Hey gang.

Running into a hiccup with my h22a4 prelude. recently got dyno'd and everything went smoothly. made 193 whp with basic bolt-ons (cai, headers, exhaust, etc.) on my s300. But a couple weeks after I was tuned, I started feeling a stutter/miss at low rpm acceleration (less than 3200rpms). I took it back to the tuner and they said it was because of my dirty throttle body (keep in mind I paid a couple grand prior to being tuned for troubleshooting/diag/maintenance to take care of anything that could get in the way of a quality tune with optimal reliability). They told and billed me for cleaning the throttle body and gave me the car back and it was running fine. For 2 weeks. Then the stutter came back, this time at idle, and at acceleration until 2500 rpms. So, I swapped out MAP sensor. No luck. Checked fuel and the injectors were squirting, had the whole ignition replaced so I don't think it's spark. So, I was back to checking for vacuum leaks (no leaks found). So, I checked the tps and it was out of calibration. Very frustrating. But I figured I'd swap the sensor so I dremeled the screws and pulled the old sensor and swapped the new one in and was going to calibrate it by hand. I hooked up my multimeter to the middle wire entrance with a pushpin in the connector and the neg on the battery and went to place the sensor according to spec (.5 closed and 4.5 WOT). Now whenever I set closed throttle it would only read to 3.8v. So, I tried calibrating to 4.5 and my closed would only go to .8v. I know Hondata has a calibration feature, but can I change the range of the voltage through that? Or do I need to mess with the oem marked lock nut on the throttle spring to change the physical throttle position to gain more range? Will this effect idle or is the IAC valve not influenced by this? Any help is appreciated and if any of my information or thought process is wrong, please correct me. I just want my car to rip again nice and healthy for summer!

Thanks in advance.
-Jax
Spunkster
Site Admin

Re: throttle position sensor calibration

Post by Spunkster »

IF it is not reaching the full voltage then it sounds like there is a problem with the sensor or the throttle body. You can try making additional adjustments, but that may cause other issues.