Can anyone help me setup a base map for my kswap Lotus?

K-Series Programmable ECU Calibration updates / downloads
CalibratEd

Re: Can anyone help me setup a base map for my kswap Lotus?

Post by CalibratEd »

Made fuel corrections. The check engine light is still on. Create a similar log. I am slowly creating the fuel curve. The injectors seem to have an odd fuel curve.

-Ed
Attachments
saxon_schmauderer_1600_Rev5.kal
(21.95 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
saxon_schmauderer

Post by saxon_schmauderer »

SO the check engine light was on in regards to the heater on the o2 not working. I decided to switch out the new wideband that i bought with the older one that I had on it up until recently. It was black from all of the carbon (From too much unburnt fuel) so I cleaned it off and put it in ran the car with the changed o2 in the analog input of the parameters. You can see the change here in the calibration:
saxon_schmauderer_1600_Rev5_with_original_o2.kal
(20.19 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
The car is running MUCHHH better now with your most recent tune and THAT o2. It looks like the O2 I had in there before was causing the engine to look like it was running really lean when idle, because when i switched over to the new one, the fuel you added at idle is now showing really rich. SO we just need to pull some fuel at idle I believe. Here is the log from the run:
7-24-2022-log.kdl
(7.89 MiB) Downloaded 88 times
The car seems to have MUCH more consistent AFR's across the band. I'm sorry this is tedious but I feel like it is looking much better. I appreciate all of your hard work.

-Saxon
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

saxon_schmauderer wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:18 pm SO the check engine light was on in regards to the heater on the o2 not working. I decided to switch out the new wideband that i bought with the older one that I had on it up until recently. It was black from all of the carbon (From too much unburnt fuel) so I cleaned it off and put it in ran the car with the changed o2 in the analog input of the parameters. You can see the change here in the calibration:

The car is running MUCHHH better now with your most recent tune and THAT o2. It looks like the O2 I had in there before was causing the engine to look like it was running really lean when idle, because when i switched over to the new one, the fuel you added at idle is now showing really rich. SO we just need to pull some fuel at idle I believe. Here is the log from the run:

7-24-2022-log.kdl

The car seems to have MUCH more consistent AFR's across the band. I'm sorry this is tedious but I feel like it is looking much better. I appreciate all of your hard work.

-Saxon
I had to remove alot of fuel from the idle. I still see that the check engine light is on. The o2 sensor should not have a code as they are turned off. What codes are you seeing on your end? Create a similar log and drive the car if possible.
Don't worry about the trouble shooting. Its all part of the process. Once we get things ironed out the process is smoother.

-Ed
Attachments
saxon_schmauderer_1600_Rev6.kal
(23.58 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
saxon_schmauderer

Im guessing you pulled too much fuel because the car acted pissed.
bad idle 7-25.kdl
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 95 times
It hung around 18AFR and RPMs were pulsing +- 500RPMS. It didn't green up to the 14's until like 4000rpms. I ran the car again today with the last tune that ran rich and everything looked to be the same so it must be something in the new tune. I gotta run to Cali for the week in a few hours so if you make a quick change and get it out to me I can test it right before I have to leave again.

thanks!
-Saxon
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

saxon_schmauderer wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:50 am Im guessing you pulled too much fuel because the car acted pissed.

bad idle 7-25.kdl

It hung around 18AFR and RPMs were pulsing +- 500RPMS. It didn't green up to the 14's until like 4000rpms. I ran the car again today with the last tune that ran rich and everything looked to be the same so it must be something in the new tune. I gotta run to Cali for the week in a few hours so if you make a quick change and get it out to me I can test it right before I have to leave again.

thanks!
-Saxon
Ok i added more fuel at idle.

-Ed
Attachments
saxon_schmauderer_1600_Rev7.kal
(25.8 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
saxon_schmauderer

So I ran that new tune and it was essentially doing the same thing. Not sure if it was running actually lean or running to rich, but it kept hanging above 18AFR.

I figured I would give the ol' college try again with THIS tune (That was originally running rich at idle and when coming off the throttle):
(20.19 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
THIS time when I ran it today it actually ran very well! Idled at roughly 14-15AFR and when coming off the throttle it also cam back down. Nothing changed so IM not sure why it ran better, but it did.
looking good! 7-25.kdl
(7.19 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
I think a couple of the rev ranges need some work (I think 5th-6th gear it struggled a little), but other than that it is looking awesome.

thanks again,

-Saxon
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

saxon_schmauderer wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:37 pm So I ran that new tune and it was essentially doing the same thing. Not sure if it was running actually lean or running to rich, but it kept hanging above 18AFR.

I figured I would give the ol' college try again with THIS tune (That was originally running rich at idle and when coming off the throttle):

THIS time when I ran it today it actually ran very well! Idled at roughly 14-15AFR and when coming off the throttle it also cam back down. Nothing changed so IM not sure why it ran better, but it did.
looking good! 7-25.kdl

I think a couple of the rev ranges need some work (I think 5th-6th gear it struggled a little), but other than that it is looking awesome.

thanks again,

-Saxon
I cleaned up some of the fuel. It is odd that this tune randomly worked. i hope that you do not have any electrical issues. Create a normal driving log and try to drive the car if possible.

- Ed
Attachments
saxon_schmauderer_1600_Rev5_with_original_o2Rev8.kal
(20.79 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
saxon_schmauderer

OK, you were right about something being funky with the wiring. The alternator was not properly charging the car. This resulted in a lower voltage to the ECU. Lower voltage to the ECU means lower voltage to the injectors and this is why we were getting mixed results on the dialing-in process. My apologies for not correcting this sooner.

Anyhow, I realized that with the proper voltage, the following (2 tunes ago) was probably the closest to where we wanted to be because you pulled some fuel from it at idle. With the car operating at 14(ish)V, and this tune, the idle AFR was somewhere around 11/12 (which is still pretty rich).
(23.58 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
There is something in the way of moving the car until tomorrow, so I did an idle and a couple rev ranges (holding at those rpms for a few seconds so you can see where fuel needs to be added). It looked like starting at about 4000 RPMs it needed a tad more fuel. Here is the results:
8-8-22 idle and various rpm holds.kdl
(8.2 MiB) Downloaded 82 times
Overall, I am enthusiastic to make some more progress! Now that I worked out the stupid electrical issue, it should be more consistent and smooth sailing.

Thanks again
-Saxon
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

saxon_schmauderer wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:25 pm OK, you were right about something being funky with the wiring. The alternator was not properly charging the car. This resulted in a lower voltage to the ECU. Lower voltage to the ECU means lower voltage to the injectors and this is why we were getting mixed results on the dialing-in process. My apologies for not correcting this sooner.

Anyhow, I realized that with the proper voltage, the following (2 tunes ago) was probably the closest to where we wanted to be because you pulled some fuel from it at idle. With the car operating at 14(ish)V, and this tune, the idle AFR was somewhere around 11/12 (which is still pretty rich).

There is something in the way of moving the car until tomorrow, so I did an idle and a couple rev ranges (holding at those rpms for a few seconds so you can see where fuel needs to be added). It looked like starting at about 4000 RPMs it needed a tad more fuel. Here is the results:

8-8-22 idle and various rpm holds.kdl

Overall, I am enthusiastic to make some more progress! Now that I worked out the stupid electrical issue, it should be more consistent and smooth sailing.

Thanks again
-Saxon
No worries. Issues are all part of building car. I cleaned up some of the fuel. I hope things go smoother going forward. Create a normal driving log when possible.

-Ed
Attachments
saxon_schmauderer_1600_Rev7.kal
(23.9 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
saxon_schmauderer

Looks like idle was a bit better (Not as rich). Did two runs because on the first one the car stalled out while idling down the road after a little bit of throttle. The datalog below is from after I stopped the car and restarted it and drove it home:
run with a stall 8-9-2022.kdl
(3.26 MiB) Downloaded 80 times
My guess is it got a little too lean when coming off the throttle and it died. Overall it is feeling better though. Less sputtering etc.

-Saxon
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

Fixed some some of the fuel issues. Create a normal driving log. Let me know how the car drives. It may be sputtering due to it being so rich on the higher end of the table.

-Ed
Attachments
saxon_schmauderer_1600_Rev8.kal
(24.18 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
saxon_schmauderer

Running great! No stalls, no major dips in AFRs. Everything is looking great.

See attached:
8-14 run.kdl
(10.06 MiB) Downloaded 74 times
CalibratEd

Post by CalibratEd »

I cleaned up some fuel and there is no knock. Create normal driving log with a WOT pull to 7500rpm. Make sure to monitor the AFR. I raised the boost limit so you should be able to boost what the wastegate is rated for.

- Ed
Attachments
saxon_schmauderer_1600_Rev9.kal
(24.52 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
saxon_schmauderer

WOT? Say no more:
8-17-22 log.kdl
(6.94 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
-Saxon
saxon_schmauderer

Looks like we were getting knocking at WOT at 7k+ rpms. Should I look into getting colder spark plugs? Any recommendations? Or maybe it's a tune thing.