06 TSX Calibration Check

Calibrations for FlashPro Manager - Use all calibrations at your own risk (dyno tuning recommended)

ThatTSXguy

06 TSX Calibration Check

Post by ThatTSXguy »

Hey im new to the flashpro and tuning in general and im working on tuning the part throttle fuel tables and i was wondering if someone could look at mine and check the smoothness of the map and maybe some tips and or tricks to getting a smooth map

(i have two calibrations one while i was out tuning and the other just quickly done at home looking only at my first pull (its named practice)

ill post the first pull as well! and my normal base calibration
Attachments
0 Degree run 1.fpdl
(29.06 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
TSX Basmap 6000 VTEC 0 degrees practice.fpcal
(16.7 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
TSX Basmap 6000 VTEC 0 Degrees.fpcal
(16.69 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
TSX Basmap 6000 VTEC.fpcal
(16.68 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
EFICU

Re: 06 TSX Calibration Check

Post by EFICU »

Seems like you're off to an okay start. Although it's deceiving because if you look at your commanded AFR while driving, it's constantly hunting and changing. Therefore your fuel trims are showing good even though they aren't. You want it to command a static 14.64 at part throttle for best fuel economy and drivability.

What is your mod list again? And what is your future plans for more mods and when?
ThatTSXguy

Post by ThatTSXguy »

Hmm ok so how would I change the commanded fuel?

My mod list is currently a cold air intake some minor muffler deletes and what not and that's pretty much it the rest is stock I want to go rbc intake 50 degree vtc and rdx injectors but thats not gonna be for a while I'm kinda tight on my budget right now 😅 already spend too much on the flashpro 😂 and then farther in the future maybe some race headers and a exhaust system

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it!
ThatTSXguy

Post by ThatTSXguy »

And in my other post in the tsx section I added some current calibrations and datalogs I'll try to keep it all here tho sorry for the redundancy 😅😅
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

You would want to look into the WOT pressures in the table to get it to command a solid afr. I don't know how much of this you plan to do yourself, so I'm not sure how much to help. But you want to go into the WOT determinations pressures and raise the settings so that it takes more MAP pressure to trigger WOT. When you adjust those settings, it will command the solid afr at part throttle instead hunting.

If you decide to look into a 50* VTC, please look into mechanically limited VTC gear and probably shoot for 40* on the limiter. K24s can run into valve to piston clearance above that 40*. Otherwise you would have to pull the head and clay it to find the max rotation. With the mechanically limited gear, then you wouldn't have to worry about it as 40* is sort of the generally accepted limit to be safe. Some guys say you can go more, some say don't. Either way, it won't make much power over 40* anyways, so why risk it.
ThatTSXguy

Post by ThatTSXguy »

And here is the copy of the current cal and a 20 min datalog currently vtec is at 6000 but at some point i want to bring it down to 4500 or what ever is optimal of course i have a few persistent knocks mainly in cylinder three and it also gets worse if ive been driving for longer i dont really know what to do for tuning ignition and im not really going into it cause i know you can really mess up some stuff doing something wrong.

i noticed @EFICU that your fuel tuning lines are different to mine like alot im really trying not to cross lines but the lambda suggestions seem to want to bring it down?? i hope i didnt mess anything up xD i hope you can give me some pointers or maybe send me in the right direction or just plain hold my hand in all this xD xD
Attachments
TSX Personal Tune 20 mins.fpdl
(141.85 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
JD TSX Rev 01 VTEC6000.fpcal
(16.76 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
ThatTSXguy

Post by ThatTSXguy »

EFICU wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:14 pm You would want to look into the WOT pressures in the table to get it to command a solid afr. I don't know how much of this you plan to do yourself, so I'm not sure how much to help. But you want to go into the WOT determinations pressures and raise the settings so that it takes more MAP pressure to trigger WOT. When you adjust those settings, it will command the solid afr at part throttle instead hunting.

If you decide to look into a 50* VTC, please look into mechanically limited VTC gear and probably shoot for 40* on the limiter. K24s can run into valve to piston clearance above that 40*. Otherwise you would have to pull the head and clay it to find the max rotation. With the mechanically limited gear, then you wouldn't have to worry about it as 40* is sort of the generally accepted limit to be safe. Some guys say you can go more, some say don't. Either way, it won't make much power over 40* anyways, so why risk it.
hmm ok i get it im thinking of basically then just raising them a few percent each time until it works out solid

also i understand trouble of how to help xD i guess im kinda putting myself in a pickle, it would probably be better if i get you to do it xD

i have an interest in this so i dont really want to just have it be tuned and just let it be magic you know xD but maybe if i want to learn I should just take a tuning course to start from there.

ill do what you mentioned and see what i come up with!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

You can't determine your optimal vtec RPM until you've tuned all cam angles one by one. You then use the fuel demand data to find out where that is. But you can't get that type of data without tuning each cam angle, or having a dyno of course. Without a dyno, essentially it's making the most power where it's demanding the most fuel. You can always put it wherever you want of course, granted you're within the mechanical safe range, but for power and drivability you want to find it the proper way. As far as ignition you can't really hurt anything if you're being smart about your values. As in taking the basemap as a guide, then adjusting from there.

Yes the fuel lines should never cross over each other for any reason. When you're looking at your sample data, you have to be mindful of the data pool per cell. When you hover the cursor over the cell, it will tell you how many samples were taken for that cell. If it's a low number, especially 1-10 samples or something, you have to disregard that. You need average data, say 50 samples or higher. Generally I want a few hundred or even thousands of samples in some cases. You appear to be datalogging through a laptop, that will severely cut down the number of samples. I would highly recommend to datalog through the FlashPro as it samples at an incredibly high rate. You can still watch the data on yous laptop, but press the "datalog" button the FlashPro itself and then use the datalog from the FlashPro to tune with.

At the core though, you need to lock the cam angle on 0* for both the low cam and high cam. Tune that, and it will lay the foundation for everything. If everyone new to tuning would do that, it would make things easier for them. When you concentrate all your data on one cam angle, the samples per cell are very high (when datalogging through the FlashPro) and you can focus on one table. When you're watching multiple tables, it just makes things tougher for people.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

ThatTSXguy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:41 pm
EFICU wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:14 pm You would want to look into the WOT pressures in the table to get it to command a solid afr. I don't know how much of this you plan to do yourself, so I'm not sure how much to help. But you want to go into the WOT determinations pressures and raise the settings so that it takes more MAP pressure to trigger WOT. When you adjust those settings, it will command the solid afr at part throttle instead hunting.

hmm ok i get it im thinking of basically then just raising them a few percent each time until it works out solid

also i understand trouble of how to help xD i guess im kinda putting myself in a pickle, it would probably be better if i get you to do it xD

i have an interest in this so i dont really want to just have it be tuned and just let it be magic you know xD but maybe if i want to learn I should just take a tuning course to start from there.

ill do what you mentioned and see what i come up with!
I can start you on a basemap to have the settings done properly, then help you tune the 0* cam angle. After that, you can take it if you feel comfortable with it. One you get the 0* cam angle, it's pretty strightforward. Granted you using a large data sample pool and making the right decisions with that data.
ThatTSXguy

Post by ThatTSXguy »

Oooooohhhh k got it!!! hence why you get the 20 min datalogs! yea id appreciate the basemap to start and then i can fiddle around from there!

so a few questions
1: how bad is it actually to get relatively low knock counts and what process would i take to remove said knock

2: are there any basic steps besides what hondata already gives to tune the fuel tables like making general adjustments rather than pinpointed ones

and 3: so since we tune high cam and low cam separate from each other that gives us basically 6 maps to tune and in regards to the vtec what RPM would we set the vtec to when tuning the high cam?

I really appreciate the input your giving thanks for all the help! i hope to learn alot through all this!
ThatTSXguy

Post by ThatTSXguy »

EFICU wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 8:49 pm
I can start you on a basemap to have the settings done properly, then help you tune the 0* cam angle. After that, you can take it if you feel comfortable with it. One you get the 0* cam angle, it's pretty strightforward. Granted you using a large data sample pool and making the right decisions with that data.
Is there anything else youd need from me before setting up the tune?
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

ThatTSXguy wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 5:24 pm Is there anything else youd need from me before setting up the tune?
Just trying to find time in the day man. One thing, can you confirm for me what all mods you have? I quickly glanced through your posts but I didn't see anything concrete on what exactly you have. So let me know the complete mods so I can make the right basemap for you.
ThatTSXguy wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:03 pm Oooooohhhh k got it!!! hence why you get the 20 min datalogs! yea id appreciate the basemap to start and then i can fiddle around from there!

so a few questions
1: how bad is it actually to get relatively low knock counts and what process would i take to remove said knock

2: are there any basic steps besides what hondata already gives to tune the fuel tables like making general adjustments rather than pinpointed ones

and 3: so since we tune high cam and low cam separate from each other that gives us basically 6 maps to tune and in regards to the vtec what RPM would we set the vtec to when tuning the high cam?

I really appreciate the input your giving thanks for all the help! i hope to learn alot through all this!
It's not the end of the world to have a few knock on a drive. The main thing is to make sure you don't have consistent knock happening in one area. If there is consistent knock happening in one area you want to address that so it's no always racking up knock. When it knocks all the time, the ECU will raise the knock control value to proactively try to stop knock by retarding the ignition. That will hurt performance and drivability. Knock is as easy to remove as reducing the ignition in that area. Granted you don't have false knock, which will then drive you nuts.

General or global changes to fuel are rare in my opinion. I always go by cell data and work on areas as opposed to an entire table. Granted you can make global changes if you want, but to get it dialed you need to fine tune area, which you can't do with global changes.

I think you're over complicating the high cam and low cam tables. Your focus should be on one cam angle number, as the 0*, 10* and 25* individually. There isn't really a need to be hyper focused on low cam and high cam tuning as in focusing on one or the other. They can be done at the same time. If you do want to hyper focus on low or high cam tuning you can, but I would say at this point in time to simplify it for yourself would be to focus on the overall angle first. Moving vtec up and down, tuning before and after vtec, etc. Then once you have it pretty dialed, you can go in and hyper focus on certain areas.
ThatTSXguy

Post by ThatTSXguy »

EFICU wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:46 pm
Just trying to find time in the day man. One thing, can you confirm for me what all mods you have? I quickly glanced through your posts but I didn't see anything concrete on what exactly you have. So let me know the complete mods so I can make the right basemap for you.

It's not the end of the world to have a few knock on a drive. The main thing is to make sure you don't have consistent knock happening in one area. If there is consistent knock happening in one area you want to address that so it's no always racking up knock. When it knocks all the time, the ECU will raise the knock control value to proactively try to stop knock by retarding the ignition. That will hurt performance and drivability. Knock is as easy to remove as reducing the ignition in that area. Granted you don't have false knock, which will then drive you nuts.

General or global changes to fuel are rare in my opinion. I always go by cell data and work on areas as opposed to an entire table. Granted you can make global changes if you want, but to get it dialed you need to fine tune area, which you can't do with global changes.

I think you're over complicating the high cam and low cam tables. Your focus should be on one cam angle number, as the 0*, 10* and 25* individually. There isn't really a need to be hyper focused on low cam and high cam tuning as in focusing on one or the other. They can be done at the same time. If you do want to hyper focus on low or high cam tuning you can, but I would say at this point in time to simplify it for yourself would be to focus on the overall angle first. Moving vtec up and down, tuning before and after vtec, etc. Then once you have it pretty dialed, you can go in and hyper focus on certain areas.
Sorry about that I won't rush you.

Right now I just have a K&N cold air intake
And if it's important the car is a 06 Acura TSX MT with a 07 TSX AT ECU
And i just recently replaced the spark plugs sith NGK Iridiums

(Side note I have the valve cover breather filter from ktuned installed but I don't think that would affect tuning?)

Ok sounds good!
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Okay I've got a basemap smoothed out and ready to get started. For the datalogs, shoot for 20 minutes in length so we can get some good average data. And make your driving around normal city streets so there is a lot of stop and go type driving. On the drive, make one wide open throttle (WOT) third gear pull from 2500-7000 so we can work on the WOT fuel. This first one is on the 0* cam angle with vtec at 5500. Don't get too spirited with the driving in this first datalog, let's gather some good baseline data before having too much fun, but make the one third gear WOT pull. Also, try to vary the rpm of your shifts up around 4000-5000 so we get a lot of data on the low cam. Try not to shift at 2500-3000 if that makes sense, try to run the shifts up higher as we go through the tuning.

Take it for a spin when you can. Also be sure to datalog through the FlashPro itself so we get a lot of data. You can watch everything on a laptop if you want, but save and post the datalogs from the FlashPro if possible so we get a lot of data.
ThatTSXGuy.SD.Rev01.3 (0Cam)(Vtec5500).fpcal
(18.55 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
ThatTSXguy

Post by ThatTSXguy »

So I got the calibration downloaded and I got the DL made just can't upload it yet 😅 but I got engine codes for the auto trans shift solenoids is there a way to disable those or did we have to use a MT calibration?