2013 civic si tune question

2012+ US/Canadian Civic Si / 2013+ ILX
K24_member101

2013 civic si tune question

Post by K24_member101 »

So im about 8 years late getting my flashpro but its finally coming soon should be here by the end of the week. My cheap tsudo test pipe finally bit the dust and the baffle inside broke and rattles at 2k rpm . (Lasted 7 years 80k miles) so i got my moneys worth. I got a flashpro and rear motor mount on the way and saving for a real downpipe.

Current mods
Dc sports short ram intake
Tsudo full cat back
Returning to stock resonator and cat until i save for a downpipe

Main question. Will the ... dp, sri, and exhaust base map work in the stock cat and resonator for awhile ? Also is that base map a 87 or 93 tune? Should i tune with 93 once i get the downpipe or is 87 still fine . My goals mainly just a stable daily tune im not trying to squeeze every bit of juice out of the motor. So going a little conservative is fine by me. I have never done anything like this before but i know i need a 3rd or 4th wot and a 20ish min drive datalog for tuning in the future is there anything else i should look into?

Thanks for reading hope to be tinkering and tuning soon
EFICU

Re: 2013 civic si tune question

Post by EFICU »

You don't want to run 87 with an Si, you need to run premium (91 or higher) and tune for that. With the compression of the K24 and the overall performance oriented engine, running 87 will cause you have a lot of knock and the performance will suffer and could create some long term damage to the engine (depending on how much knock). So definitely focus on running premium and then go from there.
K24_member101

Post by K24_member101 »

EFICU wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:38 pm You don't want to run 87 with an Si, you need to run premium (91 or higher) and tune for that. With the compression of the K24 and the overall performance oriented engine, running 87 will cause you have a lot of knock and the performance will suffer and could create some long term damage to the engine (depending on how much knock). So definitely focus on running premium and then go from there.
Oh dang well thanks! How does the stock injectors and fuel pump hold up to bolt ons and tunes? From what i read i should be ok unless i plan on boosting which im not. Also thanks for the quick reply i seen u on pretty much every post on this forum so ive been snooping and reading what you do on their tunes hopefully i can get mine sorta dialed in but its a lot of info to look at all at once .
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Stock injectors are pretty much all you need for bolt ons for 9ths. Granted once you go full bolt on some RDXs wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if you live in very cold climate where the ECU adds a lot of fuel for really cold dense air. Some cars get to the 90% range which is when you want to start looking at some injectors, but the 9th gens don't seem to max them as much as 8th gens simply because the 9th gen engine falls off much quicker up top. But say you do a 3.5" intake, DP, and catback, you will most likely be fine with stock injectors but you won't know until you tune it. If you live in freezing climates it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw in some RDXs. Say your stock injectors are 88% duty cycle at 80* F, at 32* F the ECU might be adding 5-8% fuel which would then put you past the regarded safe value.

Yeah once you go boost then you would want to upgrade the injectors of course. But I haven't seen too many 9ths max the stock injectors NA. Maybe some guys with FBO and an RBC manifold. The RBC manifold shifts the fuel demand up higher, hence why they make more top end power but sacrifice midrange.
K24_member101

Post by K24_member101 »

EFICU wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:25 pm Stock injectors are pretty much all you need for bolt ons for 9ths. Granted once you go full bolt on some RDXs wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if you live in very cold climate where the ECU adds a lot of fuel for really cold dense air. Some cars get to the 90% range which is when you want to start looking at some injectors, but the 9th gens don't seem to max them as much as 8th gens simply because the 9th gen engine falls off much quicker up top. But say you do a 3.5" intake, DP, and catback, you will most likely be fine with stock injectors but you won't know until you tune it. If you live in freezing climates it wouldn't be a bad idea to throw in some RDXs. Say your stock injectors are 88% duty cycle at 80* F, at 32* F the ECU might be adding 5-8% fuel which would then put you past the regarded safe value.

Yeah once you go boost then you would want to upgrade the injectors of course. But I haven't seen too many 9ths max the stock injectors NA. Maybe some guys with FBO and an RBC manifold. The RBC manifold shifts the fuel demand up higher, hence why they make more top end power but sacrifice midrange.
Thanks for the replies your very knowledgeable i see! I dont really plan on doing the intake mani swap but im not opposed to it. I read that the only real helpful intake is a 3.5in but it requires flashpro which i didnt have (basically got the dc sports intake for sounds lol) so ill probly be getting a skunk 2 downpipe (being the only real downpipes available anymore) and a ktuned 3.5in sri or cai. Those upgrades with a tune should get me a little more pep in the car and bring back the fun to drive aspect lol. Also i live in south Carolina so very rarely see cold let alone freezing temps . Maybe a few days when leaving work at 7am in January it drops below freezing lol.
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Sounds good. You will most likely be fine then with the stock injectors. Basically you will want to tune it complete and then see where the injector duty falls. At 32* intake temps, when it's adding 8% fuel, you might run out of injector. Not that it would go super lean, which isn't that big of a deal with super cold temps anyways, you just want to make sure you have your bases covered is all. But definitely aim to use premium gas though moving forward. Even though gas prices are terrible right now, just think of it as a good investment to keep the engine happy for years to come.
K24_member101

Post by K24_member101 »

EFICU wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:12 pm Sounds good. You will most likely be fine then with the stock injectors. Basically you will want to tune it complete and then see where the injector duty falls. At 32* intake temps, when it's adding 8% fuel, you might run out of injector. Not that it would go super lean, which isn't that big of a deal with super cold temps anyways, you just want to make sure you have your bases covered is all. But definitely aim to use premium gas though moving forward. Even though gas prices are terrible right now, just think of it as a good investment to keep the engine happy for years to come.
I noticed that it runs pretty rich once it goes into higher rpms. Also have a few knock counts in 2 and 3. So i didnt run it to hard i did a full datalog on my drive to work ambient temp was 81f ill post it when i get home from work. Its about 30 min with 15 min highway 70+ and a slight pull on the on ramp . Dont want to push to hard till i refil with 93 anyways. Also was just messing around with a little burble on decel ignition timing so you can fix or ignore that (dont hate me i was just toying around like a kid on Christmas with the flashpro. ) ill post the full tune and datalogs when i get home. ( i still have stock cat also for now no funds for full downpipe so im just trying to get a more stable daily tune till i get the downpipe and do a full tune)
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

We’ll see how it looks. You don’t want to set any burble or pops and bangs with a cat in the exhaust. You run the risk of damage to the cat and the engine. To do that stuff you need to have a free exhaust with no cat. So I would highly recommend putting that stuff back to how it was.
K24_member101

Post by K24_member101 »

EFICU wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:57 pm We’ll see how it looks. You don’t want to set any burble or pops and bangs with a cat in the exhaust. You run the risk of damage to the cat and the engine. To do that stuff you need to have a free exhaust with no cat. So I would highly recommend putting that stuff back to how it was.
Yea i just did it once dont wana hurt anything knowing the cats still there just extra backpressure thats not needed. Also could probably cause a slight knock if the exhaust cant flow out and gets trapped maybe thats an issue i caused myself. I wish i brought my laptop to work id post it up. Ill be bringing it in tomorrow lol. I work nights 12 hour shifts 7-7 so i can datalog to and from work which gives hot and cool ambient temps also normal driving and highway driving to mix up the graphs.
K24_member101

Post by K24_member101 »

heres some datalogs and the current tune thats flashed. like stated earlier its probly best to fix or start over for ign cuts on decel.
Attachments
drive home 60f.fpdl
(5.19 MiB) Downloaded 72 times
drive + 3rd gear pull.fpdl
data log was iffy and stopped randomly i have a half 3rd gear pull lol
(232.23 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
drive to work 81f amb..fpdl
(5.36 MiB) Downloaded 67 times
reflash + ign cut.fpcal
(stock reflash plus ign cuts which can be ignored. or just start new calibration off new basemap )
(21.14 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
K24_member101

Post by K24_member101 »

So i went back and flashed the stock reflash and tried to datalog but for some reason it just stopped datalogging and i lose the Bluetooth connection on the app. Im gana run it next time without the app at all and only datalog directly from tbe flashpro and see if that helps. But im almost at 1/4 tank so ill be filling with 93 on my way home
EFICU

Post by EFICU »

Yeah overall it's not too bad. The WOT fuel is super rich though. That needs to be addressed as soon as possible.
K24_member101

Post by K24_member101 »

EFICU wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:40 pm Yeah overall it's not too bad. The WOT fuel is super rich though. That needs to be addressed as soon as possible.

Would you mind helping me dial it in a little. I just filled up a full tank of 93 also so should help with knock also. I ran her down pretty low to get as much 87 out.
K24_member101

Post by K24_member101 »

Well if cruising is ok and only wot is rich ill just stay off wot for a bit motor mount should be here today or tomorrow and downpipe is shipped hopefully monday or Tuesday itll be in then we can dial in wot with downpipe .
K24_member101

Post by K24_member101 »

Alright s2 ... downpipe and innovative rear motor mount is installed and ready to go. Theres a small exhaust leak i had to reuse the oem 3 layer gasket at the head but its not awful. Runs fine with the reflash ive been using before install. I tried the sri, downpipe and exhaust basemap but it bogs down to much i think its for the 3.5in intakes. Idles kinda low and when i first step on tbe gass it hesitates and then revs so i just went back to stock reflash basemap .